Visiting Scientist, Deptt.of Molecular Biology and Genetics,DAGMAR Danish Center for Transgenic Mice, Aarhus University,Denmark (2019)
Visiting Scientist, Deptt. of Neurosurgery, Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA (2017)
PDF, Deptt. of Neurology, Miller School of Medicine,University of Miami, Florida,USA, 2016
Ph.D, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU),Varanasi, 2012.
Dr. Bhattacharya investigates the safety and efficacy of intra-arterial stem cell therapy in small and large animal model of ischemic stroke and further deciphering the mechanisms of neuroprotection. He has
a vast experience in small and large animal surgical skills with a specialization in intra-arterial (intra-carotid) delivery of stem cells in ischemic stroke.He had an advanced training in stem cell biology from Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), Woods Hole,
Massachusetts and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT),USA. He has experience in mouse transgenesis and has acquired technical skills necessary to establish transgenic animals( Pronuclear injection, 2 cell injection, blastocyst injection, electroporation
of zygotes and embryonic stem cell culture including transfection, selection, cloning and analysis of embryonic stem cell clones) with a latest updates on genome engineering technologies involving CRISPR/Cas9. Dr.Bhattacharya is also a member of the International
Society for Transgenic Technologies (ISTT). Presently, he is working with Nobel Laureate Prof.Andrew Schally on the aspects of neuroendocrine regulation in ischemic stroke. He is pursuing collaborative research projects with Harvard Medical School, USA,Miller
School of Medicine, USA, INSERM,France and Rutgers,USA which includes stroke induced optic neuropathy,strategies for mitochondria protection and exploring the cross talk of mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum in stroke. His research interest also lies with
the regulatory RNA mediated mesenchymal stem cell engineering and nanoparticle based targeted drug delivery to the brain.During his doctoral studies he explored the underlying mechanism for down-regulation of Aquaporin-4(AQP4) water channel by NSAID (non-steroidal
- July 2016 - Present: Assistant Professor, NIPER-A. India
- February 2016 - June 2016: Senior Scientist, Stem Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru Memorial Medical College, Raipur, India
- June 2012 - January 2016: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA.
- January 2009 – May 2012: Senior Research Fellow, School of Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology(BHU), Varanasi, India.
- January 2007 – December 2009: Junior Research Fellow, School of Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology(BHU), Varanasi, India.
- August 2006 – January 2007: Research Fellow, School of Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology(BHU), Varanasi, India.
- January 2006- July 2006: Research Trainee, Department of Neurophysiology, NIMHANS, Bangalore, India
- Visiting Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
- IBRO teaching faculty for IBRO Neuroscience School.
- Visiting Fellow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- Visiting Fellow, University of Oxford, UK
- Visiting Fellow, National University of Singapore(NUS)
- Extramural Grant reviewer, DST, Govt. of India
- Invited Reviewer of 30 national/international journals
- Ph.D examiner of JNTU, A.P
- Invited Talk at IAN-2016,NBRC,Manesar,Gurgaon,India
- Dr.A PJ Abdul Kalam Young Scientist Invited Talk at IABS-2017
- Invited Talk, IBRO Neuroscience School, NEHU, Shillong,India
- IBRO Investigator Award,10th World Congress of Neuroscience,Daegu,South Korea
- Paul Dudley White Award by American Heart Association(AHA),USA
- Endowment Fellowship for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Course, Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), Woods Hole Massachusetts, USA
- Young Investigator Award, Society for Personalized Nano-Medicine, USA
- Young Neurologist Award, European Neurological Society(ENS)
- Top 10% Abstract Award American Heart Association(AHA), USA
- World Federation of Neurology(WFN) International Junior Travel Award
- IBRO International Travel Award
- ISN-CAEN Award for training at USA
- IIT(BHU) Student Achievement Award (2011 and 2012 consecutively)
- BHU Vice Chancellor Award to visit USA.
- TECHNEX-2011 (IIT-BHU) Modex award for most outstanding project
- D.S Kothari Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- UGC JRF/SRF at IIT(BHU), Varanasi
- IIT-GATE (Top state ranker)
- JNU Combined Entrance Exam for Biotechnology (CEEB), DBT Fellowship (Not Availed)
- US/Miller International Subcontract Research grant(2019-2021)Efficacy of IA versus IV administration of GFP+MSCs following ischemic stroke in animal model.
- ICMR Nanomedicine Grant(2019-2022);Title: Intra-arterial delivery of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) loaded dendrimer-stabilized smart-albumin nanoparticle (DSSAN) for the treatment of ischemic stroke. Role: Principal Investigator.
- DST Grant:(2016-2019); Title: Regulatory non-coding RNA mediated mesenchymal stem cell engineering: A safety and efficacy study in rodent model of cerebral ischemia.Role: Principal Investigator.
- ISN International Return Home Grant (2017-2018); Title: Mitochondrial protection in ischemic stroke by using microRNA mediated engineered stem cells.Role: Principle Investigator.
- DST Grant:(2017-2020); Title: Exploring the molecular mechanism of butter oil enriched nanoformulation in enhancing nasal to brain delivery and its potential role in promoting neurogenesis.Role: Co- Principal Investigator.
- DBT Grant:(2018-2021);Title:Light amplifying carbon quantum dot embedded contact lenses for treatment of night blindness.Role: Co- Principal Investigator.
- ICMR Grant (2019-2022);Title: Stem Cell Therapy to Counteract Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Ischemic stroke.Role: SRF Supervisor.
- Industrial Grant (2019):Title:Exploring neuroprotective effects of an aqueous extract of Phyllanthus emblica fruits in an animal model of ischemic stroke. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Consultant and Coordinator for the Human Stem Cell Clinical Trial at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine by Aldagen, USA
- Consultant and Coordinator for the Human Stem Cell Clinical Trial at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine by Covidien, USA
- K Mazumder, R Paul, P Bhattacharya, A Borah. Neurological sequel of chronic kidney disease: From diminished Acetylcholinesterase activity, to mitochondrial dysfunctions, oxidative stress and inflammation in mice brain.
Nature Scientific Reports 9(1):3097. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-37935-3.(I.F 4.2)
- Dendrimer grafted albumin nanoparticles for the treatment of post cerebral stroke damages: A proof of concept study.Pradhan D, Tambe V, Raval N, Gondalia P,Bhattacharya P, Kalia K, Tekade RK.Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces.
2019 (I.F 4.1)
- Endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria crosstalk: from junction to function across neurological disorders.Veeresh P, Kaur H, Sarmah D, Mounica L, Verma G, Kotian V, Kesharwani R, Kalia K, Borah A, Wang X, Dave KR, Rodriguez AM, Yavagal,Bhattacharya
P.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2019 (I.F 4.2)
- Intra-arterial stem cell therapy modulates neuronal calcineurin and confers neuroprotection after ischemic stroke.Saraf J, Sarmah D, Vats K, Kaur H, Pravalika K, Wanve M, Kalia K, Borah A, Dave KR, Yavagal DR,Bhattacharya
P.Int J Neurosci. 2019 ((I.F 2.1)
- Neuroprotective attributes of L-theanine, a bioactive amino acid of tea, and its potential role in Parkinson's disease therapeutics. Deb S, Dutta A, Phukan BC, Manivasagam T, Justin Thenmozhi A,Bhattacharya P, Paul
R, Borah A. Neurochem Int. 2019((I.F 3.9)
- Evolving Evidence of Calreticulin as a Pharmacological Target in Neurological Disorders. Kotian V, Sarmah D, Kaur H, Kesharwani R, Verma G, Mounica L, Veeresh P, Kalia K, Borah A, Wang X, Dave KR, Yavagal DR,Bhattacharya P.
ACS Chem Neurosci. 2019(I.F 3.8)
- Madhuri Wanve, Harpreet Kaur, Deepaneeta Sarmah, Jackson Saraf, Kanta Pravalika, Kanchan Vats, Kiran Kalia, Anupom Borah, Dileep R. Yavagal, Kunjan R. Dave, Pallab Bhattacharya. (2018) Therapeutic spectrum of interferon‐β
in ischemic stroke, Journal of Neuroscience Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.24333
- Kanta Pravalika, Deepaneeta Sarmah, Harpreet Kaur, Kanchan Vats, Jackson Saraf, Madhuri Wanve, Kiran Kalia, Anupom Borah, Dileep R.Yavagal, Kunjan R.Dave,Pallab Bhattacharya. (2018) Trigonelline therapy confers neuroprotection
by reduced glutathione mediated myeloperoxidase expression in animal model of ischemic stroke, Life Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2018.11.014
- Jackson Saraf,Kiran Kalia, Pallab Bhattacharya*,Rakesh Tekade*.Growing Synergy of Nanodiamonds in Neurodegenerative Interventions.Drug Discovery Today (I.F 6.8) Accepted.
- Chengliang Luo, Qiang Yang, Yuancai Liu, Shuanhu Zhou, Jiying Jiang,Russel J. Reiter,Pallab Bhattacharya, Yongchun Cui, Hongwei Yang,He Ma, Jiemin Yao, Sean E. Lawler, Xinmu Zhang, Jianfang Fu, Renato Rozental,Hany Aly, Mark D. Johnson, E. Antonio Chiocca,
Xin Wang. (2018) The multiple protective roles and molecular mechanisms of melatonin and its precursor N-acetylserotonin, in targeting brain injury and liver damage and in maintaining bone health.Free Radical Biology and Medicine,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.10.402 (I.F 6.02) Accepted
- Rajib Paul, bAnkumoni Dutta, Banashree Chetia Phukan, Muhammed Khairujjaman Mazumder, Arokiasamy Justin-Thenmozhi, Thamilarasan Manivasagam,, Pallab Bhattacharya, Anupom Borah. (2018) Accumulation of Cholesterol and
Homocysteine in the Nigrostriatal Pathway of Brain Contributes to the Dopaminergic Neurodegeneration in Mice, Neuroscience. 388,347-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.07.041(I.F 3.27)
- Ami P. Raval, Marc Schatz, Pallab Bhattacharya, Nathan d’Adesky, Tatjana Rundek, W. Dalton Dietrich , Helen M. Bramlett. (2018) Whole body vibration therapy after ischemia reduces brain damage in reproductively senescent
female rats, International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 19(9), 2749 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19092749 (I.F 3.6)
- Akshant Kumavat, Prachi Dapse, Narendra Kumar, Dinesh Mishra, Rahul Maheshwari,Pallab Bhattacharya, Rakesh Kumar Tekade.(2018) Budding alliance of Nanotechnology in RNA interference therapeutics, Current Pharmaceutical Design. doi: 10.2174/1381612824666180807113948.
- Saraf, Jackson ; Bhattacharya, Pallab; Kalia, Kiran; Borah, Anupom; Sarmah, Deepaneeta ; Kaur , Harpreet ; Dave, Kunjan ; Yavagal, Dileep. A friend or foe: Calcineurin across the gamut of neurological disorders, ACS Central
Science DOI:10.1021/acscentsci.8b00230 (I.F 11.2)
- D’ Adesky ND, de Rivero Vaccari JP, P Bhattacharya. et al. Nicotine Alters Estrogen Receptor-Beta-Regulated Inflammasome Activity and Exacerbates Ischemic Brain Damage in Female Rats. International Journal of Molecular
Sciences. 2018;19(5):1330. (I.F 3.6 )
- Muhammed Khairujjaman Mazumder, Rajib Paul, Banashree Chetia Phukan, Ankumoni Dutta, Jayasree Chakrabarty,Pallab Bhattacharya, Anupom Borah. (2018) Garcinol, an effective monoamine oxidase-B inhibitor for the treatment
of Parkinson’s disease, Medical Hypotheses. 117,54-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2018.06.009
- Sarmah D, Kaur H, Saraf J, Vats K, Pravalika K, Wanve M, Kalia K, Borah A, Kumar A, Wang X, Yavagal DR, Dave KR,P Bhattacharya.Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Stroke: Implications of Stem Cell Therapy. Translational Stroke
Research doi:10.1007/s12975-018-0642-y.(I.F 8.2)
- D Sarmah, J Saraf, H Kaur, K Pravalika, R Tekade, A Borah,K Kalia, K Dave,
P Bhattacharya. Stroke Management: An Emerging Role of Nanotechnology Micromachines 8(9), 262, 2017
- R.Paul, A.Choudhury, D C Boruah, R.Devi, M.Choudhury,P Bhattacharya,A Borah. Hypercholesterolemia causes psychomotor abnormalities in mice and alterations in cortico-striatal biogenic amine neurotransmitters: Relevance
to Parkinson's disease: Neurochemistry International. 108:15-26, 2017.
- R Tekade, N Soni, M Tekade, P Kesharwani, P Bhattacharya, R Maheshwari, K Dua, P Hansbro Recent Advances in Oncological Submissions of Dendrimer. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 23(21) 3084-3098, 2017.
- Sharma D, Bhattacharya P, Kalia K, Tiwari V. Diabetic nephropathy: New insights into established therapeutic paradigms and novel molecular targets. Diabetes Res Clin Pract.;128:91-108, 2017
- Atchaneeyasakul K, Guada L, Watanabe M, Bhattacharya P, Raval A, Yavagal D. Large Animal Canine Endovascular Ischemic Stroke Model. Brain Res Bull. 3:127:134-140, 2016
- S Ambekar, P Verma, P Bhattacharya, D Yavagal. Treatment of unruptured brain aneurysm Exp. Rev.of Neurotherapeutics 16:10, 2016
- P Bhattacharya, A Pandey, S Paul, R Patnaik. Piroxicam mediated modulatory action of 5-HT serves as a brake on neuronal excitability in ischemic stroke. Neural Regeneration Research. 10(9):1418-20, 2015.
- P Bhattacharya, A Pandey, S Paul, R Patnaik, D Yavagal. Aquaporin-4 inhibition mediates Piroxicam-induced neuroprotection against focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rodents. PLoS ONE. 8(9): e73481.1371/0073481
- P Bhattacharya, A Pandey, S Paul, R Patnaik Alleviation of Glutamate mediated neuronal insult by Piroxicam in rodent model of Focal Cerebral ischemia: A possible mechanism of GABA agonism. J Physiol Biochem.70(4):901-13
- P Bhattacharya, A Pandey, S Paul, R Patnaik.Melatonin renders neuroprotection by Protein Kinase C mediated Aquaporin-4 inhibition in animal model of focal cerebral ischemia, Life Sciences.100 97–109, 2014.
- P Bhattacharya, A Pandey, S Paul, R Patnaik. Aquaporin-4 in Cerebral Edema following Ischemia /Reperfusion Injury: Exploration of Novel Therapeutic Strategies, Am. J. Neuroprotec.Neuroregen.5,49-55,2013
Book/Book Chapter/Peer Review Abstracts
- Paul, S., Pallab Bhattacharya, and Bit, A. Early Detection of Neurological Disorders Using Machine Learning Systems. IGI Global. May 2019.(Editor of the Book)
- Fuchs, P., Sarmah, D., Kaur, H., Pallab Bhattacharya and Dave, K.D. Diabetic stroke and oxidative stress. Elsevier. March 2019.
- Morais-Lima, T.M., Vicentini, J.C., Alberto, A.V., de Freitas, P.H., Perret, C.M., da Silva Ferreira, N.C., Sarmah, D., Sinha, B., Das, G.,Pallab Bhattacharya. and Wang, X. The Role of Purinergic Signaling in the Pathophysiology
of Perinatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. In Receptors p1 and p2 as Targets for Drug Therapy in Humans. IntechOpen 2019. .
- Kotian, V., Mounica, L., Sarmah, D., Kaur, H., Verma, G., Kesharwani, R., Veeresh, P., Borah, A., Kalia, K. andPallab Bhattacharya. Physical Impairments Associated With Diseases: A Pathophysiological Approach. Springer
Nature. February 2019.
- Verma, G., Kesharwani, R., Veeresh, P., Kaur, H., Sarmah, D., Kotian, V., Mounica, L., Borah, A., Kalia, K. andPallab Bhattacharya. Advances in Diagnostic Techniques for Therapeutic Intervention. Springer Nature. February
- Kaur, H., Sarmah, D., Kalia, K., Borah, A., Dave, K.D., Yavagal, D.R. and
Pallab Bhattacharya Animal Models of Ischemic Stroke. Springer Nature. 2019.
- Bohra, M., Sarkar, A., Raut, S., Singh, U., Jagtap, P., Shah, B., Baidya, F., Datta, A., Kaur, H., Sarmah, D., Borah, A., Dave, K.D. andPallab Bhattacharya. Polymeric Nanomaterials in Neuroscience. Elsevier. 2019.
- Deb, S., Mazumder, M.K., Dutta, A., Phukan, B.C., Pallab Bhattacharya, Paul, R. and Borah, A. Therapeutic implications of anti-inflammatory natural products in Alzheimer’s disease. In Discovery and Development of Anti-Inflammatory
Agents from Natural Products (pp. 241-258). Elsevier. March 2019.
- Vikram Jadhav, Pallab Bhattacharya and Dileep Yavagal. Intra-arterial approaches to stem cell therapy for stroke. Springer Verlag, USA. ISBN:978-3-319-15062-8 (2015)
Peer Review Abstracts
- Dileep R. Yavagal, Pallab Bhattacharya, Mitsuyoshi Watanabe, Weizhao Zhao, Aisha Khan, Joshua. M. Hare, Miguel Perez-Pinzon and Ami P. Raval. Intra-arterial stem cell treatment reduces the ischemic brain injury in the
reproductively senescent female rats. American Heart Association (AHA) Conference, USA. Stroke (I.F 5.72)
- K Atchaneeyasakul, M Watanabe L Guada, P Bhattacharya, A Raval, T Rundek and D Yavagal. Effects of Intra-Arterial Delivery of Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Infarct Size and Neurological Outcome in Rat Middle Cerebral Artery
Occlusion Model: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. American Academy of Neurology 69th Annual Meeting. Neurology (I.F 8.28)
- Dileep R. Yavagal, Pallab Bhattacharya, Weizhao Zhao, Aisha Khan, Joshua. M. Hare, Miguel Perez-Pinzon and Ami P. Raval. Intra-arterial stem cell treatment reduces injury in a reproductively senescent rat model of stroke.BRAIN-2015,
Canada. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. (I.F 4.92)
- Paul S, Bhattacharya P, Pandey A. K., Sharma N., Tiwari J. P., Patnaik R. EEG: To Investigate Recovery of rat brain function following ischemic stroke, ISN-ESN 2011, 23rd Biennial Meeting at Athens, Greece .Journal
of Neurochemistry (I.F 3.8)
- Pallab Bhattacharya, Anand Kr. Pandey, Sudip Paul, Ranjana Patnaik. Attenuation of Glutamate mediated neuronal insult by Piroxicam in animal model of Focal Cerebral ischemia: Possible involvement of GABA agonism. XXIth
World Congress of Neurology, Vienna, Austria, 2013.Journal of Neurology (I.F 3.57)
- Pallab Bhattacharya, Anand Kr. Pandey, Sudip Paul, Ranjana Patnaik. Aquaporin-4 as a therapeutic target for neuroprotection by piroxicam in rat model of focal cerebral ischaemia. European Neurological Society Conference,
Prague, Czech Republic. Journal of Neurology (I.F 3.57)
- Paul S, Bhattacharya P, Pandey A, Sharma N, Tiwari J and Patnaik R. FFT: proves the degree of neuronal insult after focal cerebral ischemia in animal model. European Neurological Society Conference, Prague, Czech Republic.
259, S142-S143 Journal of Neurology (I.F 3.57)
- Pallab Bhattacharya, Anand Kr. Pandey, Sudip Paul, Ranjana Patnaik: A possible neuroprotective role of Piroxicam in attenuating Glutamate and 5-HTmediated neuronal insult in animal model of Focal Cerebral ischemia.
11th International Conference on Neuroprotective Agents, Wendake, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 2012 CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets (I.F 2.5)
- Pallab Bhattacharya,Anand Kr. Pandey, Sudip Paul, Ranjana Patnaik Piroxicam modulates lipid peroxidation, potentiates antioxidant redox system, ameliorates behavioral outcome and electrical activity of brain in focal
cerebral Ischemia. XXth World Congress of Neurology, Morocco. Journal of Neurology (I.F 3.57)
- P.Bhattacharya, R.Patnaik, D Moresanu, Aruna Sharma, H S Sharma Heat Stress modulates Aquaporin-4 expression, induces edema formation and brain pathology in rats. Neuroprotective effects of cerebrolysin.XVth International
Symposium of Brain Edema and Cellular Injury 2011,Tokyo,Japan.Acta Neurochirurgica (I.F 1.8)
- Paul S, Bhattacharya P, Pandey A, Sharma N, Tiwari J and Patnaik R. Application of mathematical modeling as a tool to analyze the EEG signals in rat model of focal cerebral ischemia. Conference Abstract in Cape Town
School on Advanced Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience. Front. Comput. Neurosci. (I.F 1.8)